FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC rules out 'colossal failure' of government stake for aid; bailout debate thread
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:14 pm
hoipolloi

Originally Posted by AC7E7
I was not a fan of government ownership of GM Canada, and I am very concerned about government ownership of AC.
How much influence will the government have going forward? I am not talking about a board seat. If AC wants to cancel or cut back flights to a city, will the government force them to keep money-losing routes in place? This is unacceptable.

I do believe the government needed to get involved as this was their doing. They are the ones that restricted travel, and should be compensating companies for these decisions. However, I am disappointed Air Canada agreed to a government equity stake. I am considering moving my business to Westjet if their agreement does not include an equity stake.

As a shareholder, I am happy the shares have not tanked as I suspected they would in my earlier post. However, I am considering selling my shares. I don't believe the government can keep their nose out of their operations.
As a shareholder, it's in your best interest to continue flying with Air Canada, no?