FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maui 2nd COVID test at arrival at OGG [No Longer Required]
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:31 am
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scottinaz
Well, if I read the charts correctly the average weekly arrivals for the first week of April 2019 and 2021 were down 23% for the big Island, down 20% for Maui and down 38% for Oahu. So I don't think you can say any island in Hawaii has come anywhere close to their numbers in 2019. Perhaps Weatherboy was comparing 2020 and 2021.
As LIH Premiere Pointed out, Maui is at 7.2 percent (433 more passengers) from two years ago in 2019, and up 14 percent (793 more passengers) from three years ago in 2018. So in other words, above pre-COVID levels this month.

The chart also shows it; the 2020 numbers are higher than the 2019 ones on a week-to-week comparison.

Same is true on the Big Island.

I spoke to a resort GM on the Big Island who mentioned the type of guest they have is very different from the guest they had pre-pandemic: their demographics, their spend, their duration of stay, and how much they spend on-resort is very different from pre-pandemic. It'll be interesting to see if that changes in the coming months.