FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Countries you've been to that you realize you haven't really been to
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:28 pm
EqualOpp

Programs: whatever it takes
Countries you've been to that you realize you haven't really been to

Ok..so the title sounds confusing.

Assuming no C19 measures stop me, about to travel to Turkey for the 2nd time in my life.

About 15 years ago I visited Turkey as part of a European trip where I hit several other countries at the same time.

So I went Bulgaria-Istanbul overland by bus.

Places I visited include:

Istanbul - Hagia Sophia, Taksim Square, Europe-Asia bridge area, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, and a couple of other places I'm sure.
Istanbul - Ankara by train?
Ankara - Civilization Museum
Cappadoccia - took a tour of various underground / above ground cities. Stayed in a cave hotel.
Western Turkey - Ephesus, Pamukkale, Aphrodisias

So I certainly went to a lot of places per se. But on this trip I'm visiting different places, more nature / coastal areas (Aegean / Med). Gobekli Tepe excepted. So I've been watching some drone video of Turkish landscapes and I thought to myself - I don't really know Turkey at all. Which of course, isn't exactly true, but kind of true.

What are places that you've been to, that you decided to travel to again and realized you only "scratched the surface" before or only saw certain kinds of places.

As an analogy, it would be like someone from Europe saying they visited America after only visiting New York City, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles. Yes, they have a taste...

Bigger the country, the more this applies generally speaking.