FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Mayakoba Resort Riveria Maya REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:12 am
longtimereader firstimeposter

I just stayed here for 3 nights over the Easter weekend and thought I would share some of my thoughts. I’m a longtime SPG/Marriott Ambassador who decided to try out Hyatt in 2019 after qualifying for Marriott Ambassador. I hit Globalist in 2019 with plans of splitting stays between Hyatt and Marriott in 2020 which never happened. Outside of business travel this was my first leisure stay with Globalist status.

My only experience with Mexican resorts are the St Regis Punta Mita and Solaz in Cabo which were both fantastic and set the bar high for the Andaz.

Booking - I booked a third night free with Prive for $229 a night, pretty good deal and Live Luxe travel was great in booking and follow up on requests. A week before arrival the hotel reached out to let me know I wouldn't be upgraded which I totally understood due to how busy the hotel was going to be over the Easter weekend however I would have appreciated them telling me they would keep trying until check-in. Seems like Hyatt is dealing with Globalist overload.

Check-in - this was a disaster. I had three rooms and showed up around 11 am. I was told two of the three would be ready in about 30 mins. Great, we went to the beach and decided to come back an hour later. I went back up and was told only one room was ready. Fine. I went back down an hour later to ask about the second room and possibly the third and the lady basically told me to pound sand, check in is at 3 pm and that’s when they would be ready. I went back down around 2:45 pm to check the status and again the lady said “approximately” 3 pm. I asked for the manager who somehow was able to get the keys ready immediately? I was fairly upset and emailed the GM. He personally found me and sent me a bottle of Patrón as a goodwill gesture.

Concierge - I think several people have mentioned, but you basically need reservations for dinner. The concierge person was useless and required our follow-up with everything. Dinner at another property? Sorry, can't do it. Sunday brunch at the Sotavento? I'm not sure. Lagoon ride? Nothing's available. They don't offer anything proactive and it's up to you to figure out what you want to do and in my case, just calling the other hotels to make reservations directly.

Room - the room was fine, nothing amazing but the beds were very comfortable and shower was great. We have a Lagoon King room and it served its purpose. The minibar was stocked with pringles, some trail mix and a chocolate wafer thing, plus plenty of water, a can of coke, diet coke, sprite, sparkling water (never replenished) and a green tea cold drink. Nespresso machine and tea kettle were also in the room.

Food & Beverage - everything we had was great, Tinta Pulpo, Sotavento (loved this place), and Cocina Milagreo for breakfast (you could order off the menu and buffet). We also went to Saffron at the Banyan Tree, while amazing, you will feel robbed.

Staff - outside of the front desk and concierge, everyone was amazing. The beach staff, restaurant servers, cart drivers, etc. were all very friendly, super accommodating, friendly, and open to conversation and providing recommendations.

Spa & Gym - I didn't partake in the spa, just my wife and she loved it. The gym is fine, nothing special. It was pretty full/mask-less when I was there - not a complaint from me since I understand that I'm travelling, working out, eating out, etc but some may care.

Check-out - issues with my rate which took about ~30 mins of back and forth to correct and me having to be fairly aggressive. They also left the gratuity for breakfast on the bill which they should have removed. About 5 mins of arguing and it was removed. Another ding for the front desk.

Overall - we liked the hotel but the front desk and concierge really soured the trip. It was also very busy which I think made the hotel a bit less relaxing. It cleared out on the day we checked out and it was much better. The cart situation is also a bit annoying - I would have preferred to take the bikes everywhere but we had a baby so we needed the cart. The carts were usually quick however at the beach it would sometimes take about ~10 mins. Great hard product and mostly good soft product. Not up to the StR PM or Solaz but almost there. We will probably return when the hotel is less busy.