FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any potential they extend status again in '21?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:52 pm
hp12c

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boerne
I do have my first TPAC flight in November if Taiwan opens up and China doesn't attack.
I also have a speculative Taiwan trip booked for later in the year. While I really hope they open up, I am not counting on it as they have approximately zero incentive to let us COVID-infested Americans in. Our only hope is to have enough of the population vaccinated that there's minimal risk to the Taiwanese to let us in.

As for requalification, I've gotten vaxxed and resumed my business travel. However, there are three major obstacles in the way of my requalifying for EXP:
1) No international travel (and the speculative int'l trips I have booked for later in the year are award travel thanks to the previously abundant award space and my lack of desire to give AA any more loans than I'd already given)
2) Domestic fares are generally cheap right now, and I've been clearing upgrades quite frequently so haven't needed to buy up to F
3) The schedules right now are AWFUL for business travel IME. Destinations that previously had well-timed and plentiful direct flights now require connections and annoying departure/arrival times - and this is from PHL. Thus, I've found business travel to be a real PITA lately and a giant time suck. I'm still in the habit of favoring AA over others, but when Delta or United have 3x more direct flights to a destination (at departure/arrival times that make sense), it's really tough to stick with AA. Here's an example: PHL-ATL on April 12. (https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fu=EgYIARAAGAA)

At the rate I'm going, it'll be tough to even hit PPRO since I refuse to spend $30k on the credit card.