FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using a mini PC on an airplane...
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:48 pm
StuckInYYZ

Using a mini PC on an airplane...

During covid, I've been working on a number of projects and got to tinker with quite a few things.. When I go overseas, I'm usually carrying a large laptop to power through a few things when I hit the destination. Unfortunately due to the power requirements, I can't use it for extended periods when I'm on the plane (and to be honest, sitting in Y or PE, I don't really want to). Over the past while, I've acquired a few mini PCs and have been setting up a few homelab clusters for various scenarios.

So, to the point, has anyone set up a mini PC (eg, 1L or smaller) and gotten it to work on a plane? I know there was one YTer who set up a LAN party in air, but I'm curious as to other setups. I'd think that it'd be more comfortable for me to pull out the mini PC and a multi-media keyboard (sitting in Y or PE) and to work on my own projects or to watch local videos vs. a laptop which will dig into my stomach and with uncomfortable viewing angles. I'm not looking for wifi or ethernet although I'm sure they'd be useful (just not in my use case... I actually enjoy being disconnected from the flood of emails and so on). The only problem I have at the moment is the "monitor". Most IFE don't have an input that I know of and the resolution is crap. I can bring (and power) a portable monitor, but I don't think there is any system capable of hanging a small FHD monitor (eg, 13.3in) off an airline seat (preferably at eye level). The size isn't usually an issue (eg, a 13.3 monitor will fit an airhook), but they're not the lightest things. The people who did the LAN party used suction cup holders modified to hold the screen to the IFE screen, however those could likely damage the IFE and I don't approve of that.

(Yes, I know it's a FWP and with limited use cases... there could very well be no solution, just trying to make my trip a little more comfortable)

Curious to see what is out there. TIA.