FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS award ticket cancellation policy
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2021, 1:29 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
AS has Peace of Mind Waiver currently.
date to book has been extended to April 30, 2021. So, no change or cancel fees if booked by then. Includes, award travel.
Look to AS site for complete waiver disclosure.
Cancel to AS wallet or travel credit, not to original form of payment.
Originally Posted by frankvb
Not 100% sure but I thought award booking (cash) refunds went back to the credit card used. Maybe only for partner awards?

And it was always possible to cancel those at any time (could also be only for partner awards, I haven't used AS miles for AS flights much).

BTW: that's unrelated to the current covid waiver.
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Thank you for the response!
The question is in regards to an award redemption with a fare in miles. Whether AS or Partner, a cancellation of an award itinerary booked during the Covid-19 waiver will result in a reinstatement of you miles & the fees & taxes will be credited back to your original form of payment. That would be your credit card since fees & taxes on awards require "new" money and therefore cannot be paid from your wallet.

Changes will be repriced in miles and fees & taxes. The process is to refund all the miles for the original itinerary and charge all the miles required for the "new" itinerary, even if the award price is the same. Any differential in fees & taxes will be a "net" charge or credit to the original form of payment which, again, is your credit card.

When the Covid-19 waivers finally expire, the cancellation fee will need to be paid before your miles are credited back to your account unless, of course, you have an Elite status waiver or cancelled within 24 hours. For the 24 hour waiver, the ticket must be purchased more than 24 hours before flight time. Within 24 hours, the cancellation fee will apply.
  • This policy only applies to tickets booked for travel starting more than 24 hours from the time of purchase. If you change* or cancel tickets purchased within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time, your ticket is subject a $125 change fee.

If I cancel my award ticket, will I get my miles back?

Yes. Once you have canceled your ticket, and paid the cancellation fee, and requested that the miles be redeposited, your miles will go back into your account, and any taxes paid will be refunded. The call center booking fee, and the partner award fee are nonrefundable.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 31, 2021 at 1:40 pm