FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will/should UA do further status extensions/promos?With limited international travel?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 12:23 pm
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kilo
... I nevertheless agree that those who fly this year should get more recognition if there is an extension. It will encourage the behaviour I reference in my previous paragraph - which would be good for the airlines. Carrying over earnings into the following year as AC will do is quite reasonable. Hilton Honors did this last year.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't mind extensions considering the circumstances, I just think fliers who have continued to do so (and putting money in UA's pocket) should be above those who haven't (extendees) for upgrade purposes. Example - a 1K who is 1K via extension should be behind 1Ks who have qualified normally, but ahead of all Plats. They still get the perks of status.
UA already recognizes those who have flown this year, they are the only ones that can earn new PlusPoints -- that is a significant benefit. Messing further with the upgrade prorirty is just going to make a complex system much complex -- more prone to misunderstanding, confusion and potentially errors.

Unless UA wants to abandon its past elites and release them to the free market, a bad idea and no one in their right mind would suggest that route, UA needs a way to have those elites remain connected to UA. Such as extending status (but not providing new PlusPoints if they have not flown).

An issue is what about the extended PlusPoints, should they be extended again. This is a tricky area balancing the benefits for those that have flown recently and the adhesion of those you have not flown. One comprise could be is to extend those older PlusPoints a bit but not a full year. Say April 2022? Enough to retain the preCOVID crowd but not so much to discourage those that did fly and did earn new PlusPoints

Remember UA's goal is to get as many elites as possible back in the air on UA metal. This means finding the right comprise -- but if disappointing 1 flyer who has flown in 2021 but getting back 5 who did not, that choice is clear.

So agree those who have flown should be recognized and PlusPoints seems to be a reasonable way to handle without adding new complexities.