FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London, United Kingdom {GBR}
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:55 am
LHR Wannabee

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Doubletree by Hilton - West End

I have been a big fan of the Doubletree by Hilton - West End property in recent years. I have stayed there 13 times in recent years. I have tried most other properties in London, but even as Diamond, it has meant little or nothing in benefits or potential upgrades and I am big on loyalty, but would like to have some sort of relationship when staying at the same property averaging 2-4 times per year. I used to stay at the Hilton Hyde Park (over 10 times in a row- and did not get any upgrades most of the time, even in off season, so it was time to move on). I also stayed at the Waldorf 5 times, but rarely got any room upgrades even in the category in the off season. I liked the Conrad, but the location was not the best for me. I used to stay at the Trafalgar for a few times when it opened and it was great, but then when it changed again, it did not have the services I wanted such as room service. I then made the Doubletree my go to property. With so many stays, there can be problems from time to time, but how they are handled and the end result is what matters. My last stay was mid-February 2020 before the world changed. When we are allowed to travel to London again from the US, I plan on having a longer business trip and staying at this property. Obviously, my observations are pre-covid, but the property had a very nice breakfast buffet, with all of the usual items and eggs/omelets made to order. Since I travelled for business and had many meetings, I would escape in my room and have room service for lunch or dinner when not out. Their room service was excellent. In their restaurant, they also had their own version of Afternoon Tea for 25 Pounds which was a great value and a nice escape. The Concierge/Bell staff was always friendly and it felt great during each return when the staff would welcome me back as I walked through the lobby. The location of the hotel in Holburn is a 5 minute walk from the Tube and the Piccadilly and Central lines, which gives amazing access all of the the city or to connections to all other lines a few stops away. With traffic in London, a taxi is rarely faster than the Tube when so close to the hotel. Although the High Street in this area has changed tremendously in the past 10 years from its own community of local shops to more chains and less essentials, there is a large supermarket and Boots (drug store) across from the Tube and many of the side streets off of the main street have dry cleaners/laundry for much less than any hotel, mom and pop restaurants and barbers, etc. I don't know what the hotel will be like when I hope to return as soon as the summer if possible, but it is my current favorite. There is no executive lounge at this property, but some of the newer category rooms include a free daily stocked mini-fridge with snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Personally, some of the lowest level category rooms are too small and do not have enough amenities, so I always book at least a deluxe room and if receive any type of upgrade as a Diamond, it is a welcome surprise, but if I don't, at least I know I have a room that I am happy with. Their executive wing type rooms or newly renovated rooms on the highest floors are the nicest and depending upon whether it is high season or not can be reasonably priced of sometimes a lot (over 300 pounds), but I try to book as far in advance as possible to receive the best rate possible.