FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:22 pm
peter h

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is exactly it. This new Avios partnership is really for those who want to play Nectar as a game. (Or, given the detail in xenole's post, it sounds more like it's for those who want to be played as a game by Nectar.) Otherwise, it's just not very rewarding.
Isn't every loyalty scheme a game between the two players though? And I'm including BAEC/Avios in that statement

I'm fortunate to live within easy reach of decently sized Tesco/Sainsburys/Morrisons/Waitrose/Asda/Aldi stores so I can shop around and cherry pick where to buy food commodities based on price. I do have definite preferences for fresh food though - like meat/fish/fruit/veg. These tend to drive my 'big' shops.

So, if the Sainsburys app offers me 100 points to buy any pot of jam/honey/preserve will I go there? Well probably yes, because my favourite brand isn't going to be much cheaper in one of the other places. 10 points to buy some bananas (a current offer), probably not. The offers aren't going to drastically change my shopping habits dramatically, but if I can buy something with a Sainsburys bonus that I was already going to buy then, why not?

It will be interesting to see how the Sainsburys offers change as the Nectar/Avios relationship matures.