FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:25 am
Scots_Al

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
So in terms of projections - it would seem that 40-49 is likely now first half of May and 30-39 second half of May? Anyone disagree with the projections there? And maybe that slides forward a bit if Moderna comes fully online (and back a bit if there’s another batch issue or what not).

We had written off going to the US to get the vaccine (we are US citizens and have residency documents in New York, nevermind that not all states require residency - e.g., Texas who will take anyone who is eligible in a particular county for an appointment based on age/health/occupation even if they live on the moon) but are now reconsidering it.

My wife and I are healthy and are in our late 30s. I don’t think we would travel to get the vaccine a couple weeks earlier. But if you combine the potential to get it in the US in at least later half of April (Several states plan to move to all adults even prior to Biden’s May 1 deadline) and the fact that second doses come much faster - it may result in full vaccination by late May rather than August. That has us at least thinking about reevaluating. We had definitely been operating under the assumption we would have our first dose in the UK in April which now seems nearly impossible.

Moving back closer to the thread topic - I am optimistic that this issue only is a psychological hits to people’s increasing expectations and not the overall timeline which informed lockdown easing.
I would have thought that the increased risk of exposure through the very process of travel would go some way towards countering the benefits of earlier vaccination. As you say, not worth the hassle (or cost) for what is still in all likelihood a relatively short period of time.