FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MO Bangkok
Thread: MO Bangkok
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:31 am
Nagasaki Joe

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Creepy is unfair, just highly attentive and with a more "classical" or even colonial style than I personally react best to. I was on the same floor as some of the top level suites so there was almost always a Butler in the hallway up to something or other as well as a cleaner who as I mentioned had a habit of about turning and running into the cleaner's closet/ room whenever I was out and about. The closest I'd seen to this was at the Conrad Tokyo where I remember (pre-Covid) staff would often be in the elevators but then conspicuously get out if you then entered (nowadays things would be different - I generally don't share elevators with anyone).

I'm clearly a bit younger and brought up a bit differently to the MO BKK's core clientele (who by the way make great people watching) and simply react better to slightly less formal and deferential luxury. I'll also note that I didn't get anything particularly welcoming or customised in the way that escape4 experienced (e.g. leaving Bamboo bar to get to Le Normandie could have been an opportunity for someone to proactively volunteer to show me the way instead of me having to go find the Concierge desk, be asked for my room number and whether I have a reservation before getting shown up). Still, an interesting experience, and the MO clearly know what they're doing. I'm sure if your family has been visiting for 80+ years it's a very special place indeed.
Thanks for providing more context, I was just going by what you said, "...wasn't a fan of the way staff members would often about turn and run away if I entered the corridor or the way they had a habit of lurking around corners (e.g. by the pool) to keep an eye on me without being fully seen..." Per your own words, it sounded like you had an unfavorable opinion of that kind of behavior, but now I understand. I guess Pickles was right, you were talking about "old-skool Asian service" (even if you're not entirely a fan of some aspects of it). At good hotels in Japan, I'd say it's pretty standard for service staff to evacuate the elevator when a guest gets on and sometimes disappear (out of politeness) from your sight when you draw near, but when I stayed at the Conrad Tokyo, they did not run, rather they stopped what they were doing and bowed as you passed by. I guess that's two different types of politeness, run away from the guest or confront them.