FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Local lockdowns in the UK
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:05 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by paulaf
I completely agree hearing this news we should open up earlier, but according to CWS the HMG defence will be that we need to give this group (who only suffer very low levels of death or hospitalisations) another 3 weeks for immunity to build up!
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
May I ask what you are seeking to achieve for your rallying to open up, bar the obvious answer, I admire your persistence but I wonder after such a considerable amount of time that we’ve all endured that we now need to hurry things up now?

We have a long road ahead to recover, we can hurry but it’s still a long road.

I’m intrigued.

It's a broken record that assumes saving the lives of individuals is the single role the vaccine plays in all this.

Important from the public health perspective is the expectation that removal of vectors of transmission will slow down infection rates: it's not entirely clear, but it seems those vaccinated are less likely to infect others, less likely to become vectors of transmission.

the HMG defence will be... is indeed a bizarre and combative way of looking at things. The government has no requirement to defend an eminently sensible plan of "no earlier than" dates, structured to evaluate he effects of each stage of the release from lockdown.

Conversely, governmemt would find itself on a back foot if those milestones were dragged forward, against advice, and infections surged.