FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A trip to the Outback – Jigalong, Parnngurr, Punmu and Kunawarritji in a Baron
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:20 am
Hut

Part 3 – Parnngurr

On Wednesday, it was time to head out to the more remote communities. The next leg of our trip would take us to the community of Parnngurr, a 45-minute flight to the north east. While there would be only two of us on the flight and baggage wasn’t an issue, we still travelled very light; only taking just enough food and clothes.

Just before 9am our ride appeared, flying low over town to let us know it was time to head for the airport.

Flight 1 – Jigalong to Parnngurr
Beechcraft Baron 58 (VH-NSM)
Jigalong (YJIG) -> Parnngurr (YCTC)
Depart 09:14, Arrive 09:55, Flight Time: 0:42

Normally, I’d provide a bit of commentary about the airport experience… but with no security, lounge, or boarding process… there isn’t a lot to say! We drove up to the plane, threw our surprisingly light bags in the back and were soon on our way.

It was a bit warm on the ground, but once we were in the air it cooled down nicely. It was noticeably bumpier than on a big jet, but apparently but nowhere near as bad as it gets in the afternoon heat.

Mrs Hut was kind enough to let me have the co-pilots seat and it was great fun. It was super interesting to talk to the pilot on our trip out and it sounds like a fascinating lifestyle! The best part was the low approaches on arrival – to let our ride on the ground know its time to come and collect us from the airport.

After dropping us off, we stayed behind to watch our ride depart – off to the next job.

Our first stop in town was the clinic which is the newest and I must say nicest building in town.

While Mrs Hut got to work, I went for a tour of town with one of her colleagues.

There can be up to 100 people in town, however there were only a couple of dozen when I was there. In the daytime heat we stuck to the vehicle which made for a very short trip around town.

As with Jigalong, we waited until the evening before venturing outside to explore properly. Around town there is a school, a shop and the Martumili art shed, which was closed while we were there.

Our evening walk took us out of town and out to the airport – where taking photos into the light was challenging!