FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trick to bypassing the wifi captive portal?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:19 am
Theicom

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pdisme
That was an excellent guess, Apple iOS devices do this across wifi networks and often at reconnect time too, unless you go in on a per-wifi network basis and disable "Private Address". I'd unset that on my daughter's tablet after the first school zoom drop but unfortunately it still happens even if the MAC is not changing. I put a bandaid on the issue by turning private back on, to get a new MAC Hyatt hadn't seen yet, and joining the hotel wifi at night; now it only drops at the end of the day instead of during class. My laptop is not changing MAC's but also experiences the issue.

Obviously not a major issue where I'm going to call the Globalist line and rant, just annoying when every day involves rejoining the free wifi all so they can capture email addresses that most people make up anyway.
A travel router such as the TP-Link one may offer some relief.
I use it to keep my Echo dot and Roku up and running, Hyatt (unlike Hilton) never seems to drop it off the whitelist.

Last edited by Theicom; Mar 10, 2021 at 9:27 am