FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Immunity passport [Merged thread]
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:51 pm
i0wnj00

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by catocony
Of course, lots of people who complain about cameras at airports or on subways and things are more than happy for fork over far more personal information to social media accounts and the like.
Those who are more than happy to fork over far more personal information to social media accounts, subscription services, traveler reward programs etc.. do so because they feel that they will get something worthwhile or derive value from that service or product. They volunteered that personal information in order to get that service or product, because instead of paying in currency, you are paying with personal information.

Likewise, "immunity passports" can be argued in the same way, you give up personal information, in exchange for a service or product, in this case, proof that you have been vaccinated in a understandable/acceptable format which allows you being allowed into a foreign country, If you feel that you don't want to disclose this information for personal reasons or don't derive any value in this "immunity passport", then you are free to decline to give up this information.In some countries though, you can't "opt out" so you're stuck with what the government decides.

The same goes for "trusted traveler" programs, you give up personal information in exchange for expedited screening into/out of the country and you do this because you feel that you will get something worthwhile or derive value from being able to get in/out faster. Others will balk at giving up their personal information as they don't feel they will get something worthwhile or derive value from it or think the cost of giving up personal information is too high and no amount of personal information is worth the convenience.

Cameras at airports and subways? These spaces belong to governments or private corporations so they can do whatever they want to them, even up to deciding how much security they want. As a matter of fact they can eject you from those spaces if you aren't following the rules they have in place, that's how much power they have over the properties they own.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Mar 9, 2021 at 8:08 pm