FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Schedule Changes (2021)
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:11 pm
Eastbay1K
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MileageMule
We're running into this problem for a reservation a month out, and we ran into the same problem on both of our last two flights.

Again, is it wrong to expect that a 75K on an R fare who books two months in advance, and has two preferred seats, have their flight changed without notice, then lose those adjoining preferred seats while the preferred cabin was filled? I should have at least been assigned two adjoining preferred seats for that flight, rather than "unassigned" with nothing but a handful of middles left in main cabin. (or a exit row that I'm ineligible for due to disability)

I'm 0/2 on upgrades since renewing 75k. My partner is 0/2 on upgrades since renewing MVPG. (This will move us to 0/3 traveling together) If this is what we're to expect from the "new" AS Mileage Plan, what benefits are there that make AS competitive with the competition?
It isn't wrong to expect that the airline would try and accommodate this. It is wrong to expect that it is a guaranteed result when flights are changed. I would expect that if there aren't two adjoining reserved seats on the new flight that they aren't going to just reassign those already in the seats to accommodate you and your traveling companion.

I'd also expect that AS would change your flights or dates to one where you could sit together, given the now approximate two feet of separation. You're closer than you would be, say, on a 787 up front, even with adjoining seats.

I can't say I'm sorry that I don't feel particularly sympathetic in this fact situation, when the end result is adjoining aisles. Had the result been two middle seats, several rows apart, I'd be furious.

And I do not expect this to be the "new" AS Mileage Plan. I expect this to be an airline trying to save every last cent it reasonably can to avoid insolvency during the worst financial crisis in commercial aviation history. I know we'd all rather fly on our original itineraries in our original seat assignments on planes with 20-some passengers. But I also know I'd rather also be flying AS in a year or two, as a solvent company that didn't go broke over flying me somewhere in a seat elbow-knocking distance from my traveling companion.