FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scenic tour of ORD? - and do I get BIS miles for this?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:27 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfirst
Not venting - but trying to understand a little since it appears more common at ORD and more frequently recent.....
on my ATW-ORD flight this morning - 35 min flight, over-flew the airport by about 10+ miles and approached from the west (ok, maybe winds, traffic, etc)
..but after we landed, it was then about 15 min of taxi'ing around the periphery of the airport - seeing all of the sites of the airport.... clearly did not appear to be the shortest path from the runway to the F-terminal..... without a doubt, we took the long scene route.....

why?
.... and does all this extra ground taxing count for BIS?

... and btw, pandemic or not, but both flights I was on today were completely full and ORD was a zoo (long lines at all the vendors/starbucks/etc)....even chatting with one of the Police and we both agreed that the airport has not been this busy in over a year!
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by mfirst
what sort of joking about the BIS (although, if I take 200,000 trips to ORD and with each there is 5 miles of extra taxi that will bump from 1MM to 2MM.....)
but it is just sort of interesting since I would guess that the fuel costs per mile and ground time are not trivial
my flight "landed" at 7:48am - docked at F at 8:05 am and my next flight at the far end of B started boarding at 8am........ these drive arounds can add up.....
ATC decides the runway, and ATC doesn't pay for the fuel. UA must know the average costs well and build them in.

I'm impressed you had time to chat up a cop when going F to B after boarding had started.