FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Immunity passport [Merged thread]
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:08 pm
Presguy

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Standardization of this sort beefs up a surveillance state infrastructure -- a surveillance state infrastructure that likely will end up being used in ways that are not limited to countries' concerns about Covid-19.
I had considered including an ethics component to my initial post - I certainly can understand your point.

That's a hefty topic - and while I've given it casual thought over the past year, I'm still not prepared to offer a well rounded and sourced argument in either direction.

I would posit that the vaccine records in most places are probably already being held in searchable/sortable electronic repositories, and I agree with you that it's likely the information (or tools themselves) could be used in less.. beneficial.. ways in the future. At the same time, it seems like this development is really only about a unified "passport" system, and I'm not sure how a unified system further erodes privacy. The discussion, no doubt, becomes more complicated (and perhaps concerning) as we see how such a passport would be used, what "privileges" it would grant, and how mandatory it would be.