FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:18 pm
SPN Lifer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dk1180
I am going to go for my 2nd CIP and try to get the SUB by paying my taxes (hopefully they don't qualify as a cash advance since I'll have to use a 3rd party pay site). My 1st CIP annual fee is next month and I want to cancel it. Would it be better to cancel it before or after I apply for the 2nd CIP?
Originally Posted by RNE
If your tax payment is treated as a cash advance, not only will you be hit with a fee, the payment won't count towards your minimum spend for the SUB. That would thwart your purpose.
Originally Posted by dk1180
Which is why I said "hopefully" it won't be. I've message Chase directly about this, and still waiting for a concrete answer, or perhaps a few data points from others who plan to pay their taxes with a Chase card.
For at least the past seven years I have made estimated federal and state (California) income tax payments online, and they have never been treated as cash advances.

The website was called Official Payments, and changed its name last year to ACI Payments, but there are other competitors.

I have used three different (personal) Chase Visa cards and two (business) AmEx cards (one each for my wife and me).