FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR to LAX - Best flight time for minimise jet lag
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:15 pm
peter h

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
My generic rules are probably based on what TheEyeTie posted above.

On the day of departure, set your watch to the time at your destination (or, in the modern watchless era, figure it out!). Then, try to act as though you are already in that time zone. Changing meal times may help, but but mainly work out whether you should be awake or asleep. It also might continue with the meal service on the flight!

If it's night at your destination and you can't sleep on a plane (like me), then wear an eye mask and just chill - no films/music - and try to sleep. Conversely, if it's day time at your destination, open the blinds and get a lot of sunlight and watch the movies! Exposure to light can 'trick' your body into thinking what time of day it is. And melatonin can help!

Obviously, you could use these suggestions to choose the best flight times for you! Having said that, I did a couple of EU-LAX/PHX runs last year without any real issues (leaving early morning and arriving late evening), but I tend to find that the return east to west flights are more difficult.