FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A trip to the Outback – Jigalong, Parnngurr, Punmu and Kunawarritji in a Baron
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:40 am
Hut

A trip to the Outback – Jigalong, Parnngurr, Punmu and Kunawarritji in a Baron

If you’ve read some of my more recent reports, often they start with Mrs Hut returning from the middle of nowhere, where she works. This might be a bit facetious, she actually works out in the remote Pilbara – mainly in Jigalong, but also visiting Parnngurr, Punmu and Kunawarritji.

With the impending arrival of Hut Jr, working in a very remote location isn’t recommended, and so, her time out there is coming to an end. As there aren’t a lot of opportunities to visit, we figured I ought to tag along and see what she sees. Plus, getting about the Pilbara can be hard and she gets to do it in a Baron, so that makes it an easy sell – even if its going to be hot!

We figured I’d fly up with Mrs Hut on Sunday at the start of her usual two-week swing, spend the first week with her and fly home the next Saturday. Permission and permits are required to visit, so once these were sorted – we booked my flights to match hers and I was added to the manifest for the remote charter… It would look something like:

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz

I should also note that this trip took place in October 2020, so for us in Western Australia – many months since our last community case of Covid. Life had returned to normal in the state’s major city (Perth) and the previous restrictions on movement had been relaxed. We spent quite a bit of time evaluating how responsible it was to make the trip. In the end, and after quite a bit of consideration, concluded the risks of travel were very low – both for us and more importantly, for those we would meet.