FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:02 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
While I don't consider it theft - I do think UA is in the right if they moving companions together who left a middle open. People can sit together - choose aisle-aisle, or certainly fly another airline if they believe other airlines aren't doing this.

My personal opinion - people book this to intentionally try to keep the middle open - and while it may be a good faith choice of seats, it really is gaming the system. This one wants a window one wants a aisle is easily solved by one person choosing a window and the other taking the aisle across the aisle - then everyone gets what they want, including UA
How is this intentionally keeping the middle seat open? Do two customers who booked window/aisle have some secret authority over the gate agents to force them to keep the seat open? No such authority exists, so the GA is free to assign anyone to a vacant middle - this constant hand-wringing over a secret conspiracy that doesn't exist is really over the top.

What United *should* be doing is automatically blocking the middle seat beside or between GS/1K passengers and keep it blocked until absolutely needed by the flight load. The real problem is clearing BE customers and non-status standby customers into exit row and Y+ seats when there are vacant seats in the back they should be assigned to.