FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on best usage of about 25k expiring BA Avios
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:43 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
First and foremost - can you do some activity that will add Avios and push out the expiration date? I usually try to do that before burning miles/points on things I don't want.

I personally have used most of my Avios for flights between the US and Ireland on Aer Lingus. The Y redemptions are easy to redeem, a very nice value in off-peak periods, and have far lower YQ than redeeming BA metal. The flight is short enough that I don't mind Y, especially when the kids are with us. (J, by contrast, can be a tough redemption on EI.)

I know lots of people here redeem BA for AA and AS domestic U.S. flights. I've also redeemed on JL with fairly low (but not zero) YQ.

How picky you can get kind of depends on how soon the miles expire and in what part of the world you're located. Still some lingering COVID-related border closures which make booking anything international and near-term a bit iffy.