FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transit travel to/from India under the 'air bubble' agreements [ends 27 March 2022]
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:21 am
shukar

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Flew ATL-JFK-AMS-BOM three weeks ago and BOM-AMS-ATL yesterday, I am a US citizen with an OCI card. Here are some points of interest,

On check-in at ATL for ATL-JFK leg, they checked my OCI and negative PCR Covid test result.

Upon landing in JFK, I was told that to fly thru AMS I need a rapid antibody Covid test (conveniently available next door to the gate for US $200). DL or KLM did not inform me of any such requirements in advance..

At AMS before boarding for BOM,, there was a local (Netherlands) Indian embassy web page that I had to go to and sign some attestation form - again no prior disclosure of any such things. I was also given some printed forms to fill out that I would need in BOM.

Upon landing at BOM, I was told that there was a mandatory one week institutional (i.e. hotel) quarantine despite negative PCR Covid test. Only way to avoid the quarantine was to leave the airport by another flight. So I booked BOM-HYD-STV flight on the spot - despite my car waiting outside the BOM airport to drive me to Surat (STV). Another Rs. 9000 ($120) unexpected cost and eight hours delay to reach my final destination.

On return journey, at BOM airport,, I had negative PCR Covid test done 72 hours in advance. Now I knew that to board BOM-AMS flight, I would need a rapid test at BOM airport. At BOM airport, before getting to the check-in counter,, there were chaos, with people moving me from one line to the other, asking to fill out multiple paper forms as well as online forms before I could get my rapid test. The cost of the rapid test was Rs.600 ($9) - but only local currency cards and cash were accepted. The whole process took two hours. Once at the check-in counter, things were smooth. They gave me some more papers/declarations to sign.

Upon landing at AMS, they checked my PCR and rapid test - but it was quick.

AMS-ATL leg was uneventful - with just a check of my PCR test before boarding..

Upon landing at ATL, there were no checks of any kind - just straight to immigration and customs.