FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:42 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
7. It's 1988 and friends have invited you to join them on board their sailboat for a cruise around the Dutch ABC islands in the Caribbean. You are in New York City and the boat is moored in Bonaire. You find that one airline get you there with a connection being required. Your first flight will be nonstop and you'll be in business class. Your second flight will also be nonstop but will be in a smaller aircraft configured with an all coach cabin. Identify the airport you'll depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier you'll be flying with, the connecting city and both aircraft types.
7- I was initially thinking American -- an A300 JFK-San Juan (SJU) connecting to an ATR-72 -- but I believe AA was still using the First Class designation on Caribbean flights ... so instead I'll start the bidding with Air Aruba, operating to their namesake hub (AUA) with a 757 from Newark (EWR), and thence to BON with a YS-11

and circling back to MCAS El Toro, I arrived there in early Sep 1977 as a Space-Available passenger aboard a USAF C-9A "Nightingale" medevac flight that had taken a very roundabout route from Scott AFB (Belleville IL, ~30 miles east of St Louis) ... we stopped at Cairns Army Airfield (Fort Rucker in Ozark AL, ~20 miles northwest of Dothan), Kelly AFB (San Antonio TX), Biggs AAF (Fort Bliss in El Paso TX), and Kirtland AFB (shares the runways at Albuquerque NM/ABQ) ... I got a ride from one of the pilots to Orange County Airport (SNA) and caught a Golden West Airlines DHC-6 Twin Otter to LAX where my car was parked

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 12, 2021 at 3:53 pm