FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What travel have you taken *because* of Covid?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:50 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hyatt's Bonus Journeys promotion, which never would have happened without Covid, enticed me to book multiple stays at Ventana Big Sur and a December stay at Hyatt Regency Maui. with a $17 rental car. Hawaii with 75% fewer tourists was a dream. You could say I had a masked ball.

Speaking of fewer tourists, New Zealand in February 2020 with the Chinese tourists locked out was much more relaxing. I was able to change my itinerary at will due to all their room cancellations. I didn't take that trip due to Covid but it was a lot better due to Covid.

Also due to Covid I finally decided to visit Yellowstone. I had intended to drive until I saw that United operates nonstops from SFO to both JAC and BZN. Saver award availability at the last minute persuaded me to fly.

Although I lost two dream vacations due to Covid, I got exceptional value on trips I had not initially planned.

Post-vaccine, I may react to mobbed tourist destinations by scaling back my travel or at least avoiding popular destinations like Hawaii. The trick is to visit those popular spots before the travel tsunami arrives or after it subsides.