FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What travel have you taken *because* of Covid?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:23 am
djplong

Programs: TrueBlue
Last year's trip to New Zealand was postponed. I have a lot of money in Air New Zealand's travel bank...

When the pandemic was about a month old, to fight cabin fever, my wife and I simply drove up to the mountains. Made one stop in a convenience store, fully masked and taking precautions, and that was it. A nice day trip.

Once when my wife drove a couple of hours to visit her daughter, I took a drive up north just to get out of the house. Again, keeping to myself - but I found a river that actually had a media in it - was originally made so that logging companies had "lanes" in the river for their logging drives (this was up in Berlin NH). Again, nothing more than a day trip for some mental health.

By the time Thanksgiving came around (at the time, we should have been just returning from NZ), we spent some of the 'other' travel funds we'd banked on visiting relatives. My wife visited her son in MN and I went to FL to visit my sister and stepmother. We thought long and hard about this. One of the deciding factors was that it might have been the last time I was able to see my stepmother. Again, we took every precaution. While in Florida, even walking about towns, if I saw a situation that looked unsafe I avoided it - even crossing a street to avoid being near what looked like overfull cafe seating. I have quite the collection of masks accumulated over this past year.

My wife and I have been fortunate to not come down with anything. We're supposed to start being eligible for a vaccine appointment sometime in March and we're hoping that, by the fall, we can have SOME return to "normal" as far as going places is concerned..