FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What travel have you taken *because* of Covid?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:41 pm
downinit

Went to Dubrovnik and Pag in Croatia last summer, after my trip to Benelux/CZ/CH was cancelled due to travel restrictions and my original backup to Serbia was cancelled due to post-election rioting. I was finally able to get time to take the train LAX-PDX-CHI. It was my first time on the Empire Builder since I was a kid. I rented an RV for a music festival in October that got cancelled, so I planned a trip to Kings Canyon/Sequoia instead. Unfortunately, those plans were cancelled by the fires. I rerouted again to visit the Grand Canyon, which I had only previously seen from an airplane at 30k feet. My last trip was to St Croix for Thanksgiving, which was definitely not on my radar (only on prior trip to the Caribbean, 20 years ago). I originally planned a trip to visit Aruba (also never been), but my return flight was cancelled so I went with USVI instead. Normally, I take a few trips to Asia, but that was definitely not an option.

Flexibility is the name of the game. Of the four big trips I have planned and taken after COVID came on the scene, three of the four ended up getting a destination change for various reasons, and the fourth one (train trip) got pushed back from August to October. Thankfully, I had booked refundable airline tickets for Serbia and Aruba, so I did not lose anything but time. Amtrak also allowed free cancellations and date changes, so that was no problem, either.