FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 12 month status extension for Gold card holders rolling out - Silver awaiting info
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:03 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Oh yes, I know that the majority of airlines extended status for 12 months, with Aegean coming in among the worst on this measure with only 6 months.

(Cathay Pacific came out last weekend and extended all status periods by another (second) 12 month period, by the way)

But there is now some confusion about what aspect of Lufthansa's actions the OP was referring to. Literally, the statement references their decision of last spring to delay the launch of their new programme. Perhaps, given that this thread is all about (re-)qualifying, it was meant instead to refer to their recent decision to offer double status miles. And you see it as a reference to their extensions of status by 12 months last year.

It doesn't look like Lufthansa are currently contemplating extending statuses across the board this year (though, of course, anything can happen in the future). The statements in their "double status miles" campaign explicitly refer to the difficulty of reaching the targets this year - and their response is to double the status miles on all flights taken on the LH family airlines.

Aegean last March decided to add 6 months to all status periods. As such, a decision to extend that would have been expended by September; there are people who have now come to the end of their "extended" 18 month period and there were no further announcements regarding extending status.
Instead, last September/October they reduced the thresholds for tier retention by 25% for the period 29.09.2020 up to 29.09.2021, rather than extending statuses again.

As such, Aegean has already taken all the same steps that Lufthansa did; they extended status (for a shorter period); they gave double miles (for a time); and they then reduced the requalification threshold (for a period lasting til at least next September) as soon as the extended status periods began to run out.

What we want is that they take one of those same steps again, for a second time. I would like, as much as anyone here, that they would extend status again but I think that point is already past.

But I really think that they won't. Of course, there are a lot of "legacy" Golds who will come to the end of their 18 month extended period in May - I am among them - but there have been Golds and Silvers who were granted an extended 18-month "year" of status and since September, if they hadn't reached the new lower (75%) targets, have already been losing status.

I'm not sure we "legacy" Golds matter enough that they will change their minds and start extending status again, when they have already let 4 months' worth of such downgrades happen...
Attached Images