FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wine drinkers - what are you having today/tonight?
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:06 pm
Kgmm77

Somewhat eclectic online tasting with 6 wines, writing this before my memories fade into the ether.

2 whites, 4 reds.
Cullerot, Celler del Roure, 2019 - Valencia, a white blend of verdil, pedro ximénez (!),macabeo, malvasía, tortosí and others. A very pleasant light white, zingy orange peel flavour.

Verus Pinot Gris 2018 - a Slovenian white, not quite Burgundian but a full bodied Pinot Gris with lots of character (if that’s not an oxymoron). One for a pasta or a chicken dish.

Paparuda Pinot Noir 2019 - Romanian Pinot. At the low price point, it’s fine. Inoffensive and probably a lot better than Chilean Pinot at the same price and a world below New Zealand or Australian, never mind US or burgundy. I’d probably pay more for a bottle from somewhere better, but if someone served it, I wouldn’t refuse it. First ever Romanian wine for me.

Johannehohe Blaufrankisch, Weingut Prieler 2017 - Austrian red and the surprise of the tasting for me. Really excellent, a nice level of spice and tannins, but fell short of overbearing. I’m not familiar with blaufrankisch but I’ll definitely look for more. We’re over 35 years since the Austrian ethanol scandal, but it’s probably still paying the price in terms of international appeal. Combined with a wealthy domestic market they don’t really need to export, but any Austrian wine I try is generally uniformly good.

Hochar Musar 2016 - The “second” wine of the famous Chateau Musar (technically not a second wine in the Bordeaux sense, as its single vineyard rather than underperforming plots). Really good, well rounded and other than an odd nose, could be mistaken for a good Bordeaux.

Muga Rioja Reserva 2016 - typical big Rioja, wonderful with red meat. We’re big Muga fans, visited the bodega in Haro a few years ago and have a few bottles of Prado Enea laid down. A solid choice that no red wine drinker would be disappointed with.

Time for a lie down.....!

Last edited by Kgmm77; Feb 5, 2021 at 3:17 pm