FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
Old Feb 4, 2021, 5:12 am
AJA_

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by tedmak
Hi
A quick question on upgrading flights with avios.
I have checked the reward availability for flights to Canada.
On the outbound there is availability in Premium economy.
For the return, there is availability in Business.
The flight is out to one city and returning from another (open jaw).
I wish to pay in cash for the economy in the outbound and premium economy in the return and then use avios to upgrade.
Will the avios upgrade cost be the difference in cost between a reward flight between the two classes?

Also - if I cancel - will i get refunded the avios as well as a voucher for the cash cost?

I would call BA on this but find this site more useful than customer services, to be quite honest.

Thanks in advance.

Tedmak
Yes the Avios required to upgrade is the difference between the two classes eg Off Peak fare WTP London to Toronto is 26k Avios and 50k Avios in CW so you would pay 24k to upgrade from WTP to CW.

If you cancel for a FTV the ticket will effectively be held in suspense within the FTV. You will not lose what you've paid but you won't physically get any cash back.

If you just cancel it will depend on the T&Cs of the underlying ticket purchased as to what you would get back depending also whether you book under the Book with confidence policy applicable at the time.

Bear in mind when booking economy not all fares are upgradeable. It might work out cheaper just to book WTP in both directions and upgrade the return bearing in mind the greater number of Avios earned and the extra Tier Points you will earn back.