FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When might DL engage a digital 'health' passport?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 3:12 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethernal
The issue with electronic verification is one of standards. There is no common international standard for electronic data exchange. So, long story short, don't expect a vaccine or immunity passport any time soon. There's really not much of a benefit over paper or submitted scanned documentation. There's no good trust chain on this stuff, so fraud will exist regardless of whether you do it electronically or on paper.

There may be electronic submissions to foreign countries (just like electronic visa requests/processing), but the idea of the cutesy "digital passport" that proves your vaccination status that will be accepted at the border is probably not realistic. But who knows, I could be wrong.
The assertion there is no international standard isn't actually true; IATA is developing a standard for vaccine passports based on the existing TIMATIC visa checking infrastructure. IATA - Travel Pass Initiative They're well positioned to bring together governments and airlines, and I fully expect that if we do end up adopting vaccine passports (not a done deal, but likely) that their platform will be the one that is adopted.

There are other fragmented attempts - CommonPass — The Commons Project is one - but I think the IATA version is the one that is most likely to succeed based on how deeply the aviation industry relies on their standards.