FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:10 pm
myperks

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Those are some good thoughts, @myperks. Marriott is probably frittering away a once-in-a-generation opportunity here to revamp these levels. 2021 could be there to maintain everyone's status and offer bonuses as needed to get the numbers at each level where they want them to be. But starting in 2022 they could have a fully-tweaked program in place that balances perks for loyalty, points earning and redemption, and encouraging stays and spending. I know I'm not the only one who thinks the current program is overly complicated with too many restrictions and exemptions.

They could do whatever they want in terms of changing the names of the levels, the qualification criteria, the benefits, etc. right now while travel is so topsy-turvy. Personally, I'd like it if they changed ambassador back to an invite-only level without stated criteria (like platinum premier used to be) but provide actual, tangible benefits over and above whatever the published top tier is. I also think they need to make it harder to achieve levels that grant complimentary executive/concierge lounge access--Hilton has a good approach here where diamonds always get lounge access but golds only get it if they get upgraded to a club floor (but otherwise get complimentary breakfast in the restaurant).

I'd also like to see Marriott re-establish their control over all their franchisees. Don't comply with the T&C of the Bonvoy program? It's just like not meeting other brand standards--there are actual, tangible consequences that quickly lead to being deflagged. This would help with delivering on Bonvoy promises to various levels.

Finally, I'd like to see Marriott actually help all these hotel owners with training programs to reinvigorate the culture Marriott used to have, summarized in the book "Spirit to Serve". Marriott used to actually care about their guests as, well... as guests. It started with how they took care of their associates, who almost felt like part of the Marriott family. Nowadays everything has become very sterile and corporate--when a guest has a problem they are automatically offered Bonvoy points as compensation, whereas an empowered person used to actually listen to complaints, offer a sincere apology (and appropriate compensation if warranted), and then work to correct whatever deficiency was identified.

These are fundamental cultural issues that could be addressed and fixed over a short period of time, if the company shared my passion that they are the basic differentiators between Marriott and any other hospitality company.
Just random thoughts:

Ambassador: tit benefits plus guaranteed your24 with 72 hour notice (upgrades or late checkouts don’t apply), another 2 suite upgrade cert (a la Hyatt), ambassador service, 100% bonus, ambassador annual gift

Titanium: plat benefits plus lounge access, 4pm checkout, 2 suite upgrade cert up to XX nights (a la Hyatt), best available room including standard suites, UA silver, 75% bonus, titanium annual gift

Platinum: 2pm checkout, XX SNAs, XX lounge access award for up to xx nights, full breakfast if not upgraded to lounge access (a la Hilton),enhanced upgrades, platinum annual gift, arrivals amenity, 50% bonus

Gold: 2pm checkout, enhanced upgrades, arrival amenity, 25% bonus.

Silver: not much use, might as well get rid of this level.

Clear differentiation at each level. Implementation would be another thing. But I’m sure hotels would love cutting out platinums from automatic lounge access, especially in high lounge traffic properties. Many will be pitchforking (mostly from SPG that didn’t get in on LTT), but change is inevitable (a la United status devaluations), but probably will turn out okay as time goes by.

(Or maybe go one step further to simplify... keep only gold, platinum, and titanium and have milestone gifts past titanium...)