FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the UK on BA with International Travel Banned
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:37 pm
Cathay1101

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Often1
It isn't curious in the least. The Met are not likely to opine on the contents of what the law will be at some point in the future.

In addition to all else, if you do make it to your holiday location (where is that?), you will also need to be prepared to remain there in the event that your routes back to the UK or Slovakia are foreclosed. Moreover, during this pandemic, don't look at testing as an administrative burden. What is your plan should you test positive whilst in the UK or at your holiday location? Where will you obtain medical care and what financial arrangements have you made should you be unable to travel for 90-120 days?
I'm not sure why our destination is relevant (it is a BA destination, though!)

Besides, with the way borders are slamming shut (as CWS noted), there's probably a slim chance that any of this will actually happen without incident. I doubt we'll end up going. That being said, I dread to think how long it will be before travel will return to normal as we know it - least of all in the UK - so it might be worthwhile figuring all this out sooner rather than later as we'll inevitably be travelling via the UK sometime again this year.

On the Police query point - I was actually just asking them to interpret what the law stated at present, hence my concern that they struggled with interpreting the live legislation they're tasked with enforcing...

On the other question of what we'd do in the event we tested positive: To start with, I'm not sure why that is of any concern or relevance to my original question - which was strictly a legal query. Nor am I inclined to bore you with the details of my insurance arrangements, but we've given it some thought.

The main point is that we won't be undertaking any of this if we're not legally allowed to do so, hence my foreboding here. Needless to say, we've given it some thought, and given we both have had COVID recently, have had antibody tests to that effect and are now statistically more likely to be struck by lightning than catch 'long COVID', we're happy to take that risk. Understandably, not everyone would do the same. That is, however, an altogether different question to if we're doing anything illegal, which is our main concern.