FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving the UK on BA with International Travel Banned
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:07 pm
Cathay1101

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Leaving the UK on BA with International Travel Banned

Given the latest guidelines, I'm concerned that my Partner and I won't be allowed to board the BA flight for a holiday I've booked for early March. I wanted to get the thoughts of those who know BA's position better than anyone...

We don't live in the UK and will be spending a few weeks here with family (isolating for the first ten days of course) before travelling on from the UK for a holiday. (There aren't any restrictions on doing so in our country of residence). On the return, we'll be flying home via the UK (no direct flights via anywhere else bar the US, where we're not allowed to transit as we will have been in the UK), staying in the UK for a couple of days, and then flying home again once we've isolated. I've done this before without any issue although with the increased scrutiny that appears to be levied on 'holidaymakers' I'm concerned we'll be barred from leaving the country, even if we've only been visiting!

Given that there is talk that airlines/check-in staff are going to be tasked with deciding who has a 'legitimate'/'essential' reason to travel, I'm curious as to whether people think they will kick up a fuss for us using the UK as a transit stop on a journey elsewhere, suggest we live here and are therefore departing on an illegal, non-essential holiday.

We'll obviously have all the paperwork to show that we live overseas (residency cards, utility bills etc...). Does anyone have an inkling on whether they think BA/whoever enforces the new international travel restrictions will have a problem with this given we're only visitors to the country? I understand there's a provision to allow visitors to 'return home', but there doesn't seem to be any provision for visitors to travel elsewhere, when in our case there is no restriction on us doing so in our country of residence.

Any pointers would be appreciated - really unsure about how to handle this. Might be easier to travel via the continent but flights are a nightmare.