FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A big advantage of reward redemption Vs Revenue tickets
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:33 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by writetorich
or Penalty?

If so seems a lot more flexible than revenue tickets. I did indeed bite at 35% and got decent value.

Now its 705

for all those complaining about "devaluation", well cash fares are very low now , so would it not stand to reason that points required would be lower?

Thanks to all for helping this inexperienced SW flyer.
I don't know what any of this means other than I know award tickets can be redeposited without penalty. Because points don't expire and the flight credit you get when you cancel a paid ticket does, I guess that makes the award ticket more flexible. Or less restrictive. Or something.

35% and 705....no idea what you're talking about. Devaluation is another topic...in the Southwest context that would most likely be a discussion of the number of RR points required to redeem an award of a certain dollar value. Nothing to do with the flexibility of the ticket.

My own personal use of WN points is to redeem for my wife and kids. I usually make A-list. They never do. They fly just enough on paid fares to occasionally have enough points for a cheap MCI-MDW ticket, which I redeem from their accounts as soon as it is possible. I tend to hold my points in larger blocks for when we do a family trip to the West Coast and more expensive segments are involved. Then I use my points for their segments.