FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:42 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Let's just say I am looking at UAL June 2021 22 Strike puts - I think we're in for a decline of at least that as the vaccination schedule continues to fall apart, countries return to travel exclusion mode, and lockdowns begin spreading. I think the airline industry is in for a very rough ride in 2021 and any optimism is very misguided. Looking at the recent earnings call notes, I think UAL is in a complete state of denial and has no idea how to handle a multi-year collapse in global air travel. Some of those management comments are so beyond laughable, they border on negligence.

Time for new management!
What? I didn't check out the earn call notes, but I think the blogs quoted Kirby as saying he doesn't think a recovery will happen in earnest until 2023 at the earliest. That's more pessimistic than DL.

Originally Posted by fly18725
You have a pessimistic perspective and I think you’re portraying a situation that results in a global depression. At least there would be no FlyerTalk for all of the hot takes.

I hope, for all of us, including United employees, things turn out better.
The airlines are understandably frustrated because global travel cannot resume until the pandemic is under control. I don't know what UA's finances are like. It may very well be that 2021 will turn out to be a lost year. Who knows? Things don't look very good at the moment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2021 at 12:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member; removed content per Moderator note