FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:46 pm
fly18725

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's already in progress - there is mounting evidence the South African variant is able to get by the Pfizer vaccine, no word on Modern or the others, so the writing is on the wall that mutations will likely require frequent vaccine updates and booster shots, and the rollout of the vaccine at least in North America is a complete cluster-mess (except maybe for West Virginia), plus there is no progress on a global consensus around vaccination proof and how it will affect travel - in fact, Canada is about to shut down the remaining loophole which will ban air travel into Canada by visitors except in limited circumstances (formerly only the land border was closed).

So the trajectory is not looking good for United, or any global airline, in 2021. I would say only B6 being mostly domestic/Caribbean, AS and WN are in a better position to weather the storm since they don't rely on international traffic.

I am in still in favor of a forced CH11 to eliminate shareholder equity before any further government hand-outs to ensure the US Treasury has complete control and retains all the proceeds from any future re-issuance of stock.
You have a pessimistic perspective and I think you’re portraying a situation that results in a global depression. At least there would be no FlyerTalk for all of the hot takes.

I hope, for all of us, including United employees, things turn out better.