FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:59 pm
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by raytheyounger
Thanks for the helpful replies. If I log in to United and go to cancel my trip, I am given two options: 1) rebook later with FFC, 2) refund to original form of payment. The description under option 2 is as follows.

Select this option to refund the value of this ticket (less any applicable cancellation fees) to the original form of payment. Though there may be an active travel waiver which waives change fees, it doesn't waive cancellation fees.If cancellation fees apply, you may be eligible for a full refund if your flights have been severely adjusted or service to your destination has been suspended. Visit the Refunds page to submit your refund request.

In this instance (schedule change over 2 hours, economy ticket, no airline status), will I need to submit an additional request for refund of cancellation fees after cancelling the trip?

In regards to option 1 (FFC), it says travel must begin by December 2021 (one year after original ticket purchase). In this and other threads I have understood this to mean I must book my next flight by December 2021 and fly by December 2022. Is my understanding correct or in error?
No, your understanding is unfortunately wrong, if you select option 1 ( FFC ) you must begin travel ( flying ) by December 2021. It's Electronic Travel Certificates that you must use until the date on it and you could fly at a future date.

As the new ticket is 1/3 of the old ticket, go for the refund route and purchase the same flights as another ticket. Then, you would have a ticket validity starting from the day you book the new ticket. When you press the refund button ( option 2 ), you wouldn't need to take any further action and your ticket would be automatically in the refund queue and you should see the refund in your bank/credit card statement within a couple of days.