FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Favorite Non-Rice Japanese Rice Cooker Recipes?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:03 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LapLap
If you can get a ceramic “donabe” pot you might be surprised at how versatile it is. I am still being surprised by the versatility and results from mine. Turns out that it has a lot more qualities than I had understood. It’s what I turn to if I want rice with okoge (golden crust) or a stock rich takikomigohan, and am turning more and more to it for stews and casseroles.

There is a company in Japan who have been taking the ceramic donabe concept forwards, and I’ve learned quite a bit from them these past couple of months. I don’t have one of their “bestpots”, the one I use in London is a Muji donabe I picked up cheaply on sale some time ago. The Bestpot website has shifted the way I think about and use it, and for the better.
Here’s the page with recipes that showcase what a donabe can do so that you’ll be less tempted to cut short your rice cooker pan’s life.
https://www.bestpot.jp/recipe_blog
This is great advice, thank you! Although I am under "orders" to avoid buying any more kitchen gadgets, I will have a look through one of the larger Japanese markets with a big cookware section and see if they have one of these pots, it might be a good option.