FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avios Expiration Issue
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:43 am
Occasional Flyer 123

Same situation as you

Originally Posted by glader
I had 115,000 Avios expired on me recently that seemed to occur via a technicality. My last Avios activity was in April 2017 and I booked an award flight in the fall of 2019 for September 2020 using 115,000 Avios.

Due to COVID, the award flight was cancelled in late July and the Avios were briefly returned to my account but they were expired shortly thereafter with the expiration backdated to April. I thought booking award flights counted as account activity but obviously a cancelled flight didn't count. Thus 115,000 Avios vanished from my account. I was never given notice of any kind of pending Avios expiration as would occur under normal circumstances. I emailed Iberia Plus on September 1 kindly asking for reinstatement given the extenuating circumstances and have yet to hear a word. I've also spoken to Iberia Plus support in Spain twice and one person said it has to be routed through a specific department and they would get back to me which hasn't happened. Another person told me it can only be handled by email. Iberia Twitter DM gave me a canned response and said it could take up to 21 working days to hear something.

Are there any additional suggestions from the FT community that might help get me a reinstatement of Avios?
I'm in the exact same situation with 140K Avios miles lost. Their emails state that I should have rebooked flights when I had called to cancel the flights. Did you get your miles reinstated?