FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:06 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Has the QC government take a public position on the merger? I haven't seen it mentioned in any recent media coverage.
Back in October, when the revised deal was announced, Legault (who was a co-founder of Transat, by the way) was asked about it:

Asked about Air Canada’s revised offer for Transat during a news conference Tuesday, Quebec Premier François Legault struck a cautious tone. The Premier, a former Air Transat executive, said the market capitalization of both companies has declined as the outlook for the air travel industry has worsened.

He characterized the possibility that a competing offer will emerge to challenge Air Canada as “hypothetical.” “I’m not aware that there is a private buyer that would be interested in buying Transat for the time being,” Mr. Legault said. A “serious” buyer would need to materialize before Quebec weighs throwing its support behind a rival bid, he said.

The Quebec government has said previously that it would consider requests for financial backing from bidders for Transat that support its political objectives for the company – namely, maintaining Transat’s brand, head office and as much employment as possible in Quebec.
Excerpted from a Globe article.

I don't think there's any serious alternative, so not sure it makes much sense for them to raise a stink.