FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you can only carry 1 currency note ($ bill) in your small wallet what would it be?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
For that reason, $1k notes in Canada have long gone extinct, reportedly at the behest of the national police.

I always thought that larger € bills were prone to forgery and do remember shops in France and Italy either being reluctant to or not accepting (posted sign warning) larger notes.
They were actually less prone to high quality forgery at the time their print runs stopped than other notes in wider use, but the merchants' reluctance to take those notes was usually due to the merchant not wanting to bear the financial risk of accepting a forged note and, less so, to not get used/flagged as a front for money laundering.

When I was much younger, I would always try to run around with an emergency $20 somewhere on me if I was close to home. But if I was away from home/going away from home, it would be $100. Decades later, it seems like I am still often running around with $100, even as what bang I get for the Benjamin has fallen. But that back-up $100 cash is less useful for me for another reason (beside inflation wearing down its value): paying with apps or otherwise online from a smartphone means that the need to use that $100 note is even less than would otherwise be the case if phone-less.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2021 at 7:22 pm