FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Given up on Turo
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:00 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I rented from Turo last week. Was kind of forced into it in the Phoenix area because airport taxes/fees are so high and it was going to be like $500 or something silly for a midsize car. Turo was $200 for 6 days.

It was a less-than-ideal experience. The car died after 4 days, leaving me stranded. Turo reimbursed 1 day + the cost of an Uber but said it was at the discretion of the host to reimburse a 2nd day. The host refused. I left a 1-star review but it doesn't matter: it's one of those fleets where they have 40-50 cars and most of them are 3 to 4 stars (out of 5).

Basically, Turo seems to have bifurcated into two markets: (1) ultra-high-end cars, which hopefully are in great shape and have good hosts and (2) cheap, janky old jalopies that probably aren't worth your time.

I may come back at some point if I want a truly unique ride for a day. Bentley, Maserati, various models of Porsche, the higher-end Teslas....many at more reasonable rates than I would have expected. Didn't see Ferrarri or Lambo, but everything one step down from that was there. But I won't come back for someone's beat-up Sentra again... Lesson learned.