FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Learning a foreign language early enough to be perfectly fluent
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:09 am
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Immersion-learning is definitely the best on average, even as it usually works faster for learning to understand a language than to speak it. But I would definitely not suggest that boarding school is ever the best way to go about that. Kids can be socially cruel, especially when it comes to someone who comes across as being very different in some way, is socially isolated and lacks the social protection necessary to become a secure and confident learner in the environment.

Oh of course. A safe and fostering environment is a great place to develop skills, regardless of the skill!

To add to my other points above, I also believe that learning a language is like learning music... because I think music is a language too! (just saying that as a trained classical pianist... I've always felt that way about music)