FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Learning a foreign language early enough to be perfectly fluent
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:47 am
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
For many of us, we're too old to learn a foreign language to be perfectly fluent to look like a domestic traveler in a foreign country.
Sure, perhaps if you're just visiting some foreign country where you've had limited education in their language and culture as an adult.

However, I'm a staunch believer that none of us are "too old" to learn anything. Yes, the way adults learn vs. children is different but I know many adults who picked up a new foreign language and became fluent where they weren't considered a foreigner.
IMHO, it's a combination of having willpower, growth mindset, willingness to look/sound like an idiot and not worrying about what others think (people are more forgiving of children making mistakes while learning vs. adults, where it's typical for adults to be mocked or shamed for making a language-related mistake), and time/energy to invest.

In terms of when children should start learning a foreign language, I say it should be as early as possible!