FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Cancun (Mexico) [Master Thread]
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:56 am
nevansm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
A short report. I stayed 3 nights between Christmas and New Years, and was pretty unimpressed. I booked 2 nights on a virtuoso rate of $300 with a $100 F&B credit and breakfast which I thought was pretty good given I booked a week out. I also used a free night cert for the third night.

When I checked in, later in the day, I was given a room on the entry floor that while had a view of the ocean, was small, and had pillars outside, and was right above the kids club (room 2011). I was told they were sold out, and that literally no other rooms were available (asked 3 different people). The room inside itself is ok, though just felt like an upscale Marriott. There was no power next to the bed, and little natural light.

I had intended my 3 days there to be pure relaxation and didn't leave the property once on purpose. Breakfast was ok, but a small, American style buffet, with a few Mexican items, but nothing astounding I couldn't get in Des Moines. Pool food was ok as well. I didn't eat at either of the full service restaurants for dinner as they were fully booked both nights. I did have a burger one night in the lobby lounge which was fine, the service in all areas was very good. I ordered room service one night which was excellent and had some local-ish Mexican flavors that were good. In addition, cocktails were made well, and the wine list is extensive.

By the pool, I was generally able to find a spot (don't forget about the small pool to the south side), and drink/food service there was good. However, the pool area itself is in need of renovation, and many flaws of the building itself could be seen while at the pool including bad stucco areas, mismatches in paint, rusting of metal throughout, not very RC feeling.

I had been checking the app for a better room each day, and finally the morning of my last night, a better room type was available. I visited with the front desk and was assured I'd be given a better room. Indeed I was given an ocean front suite, which was very nice, pictures in previous reviews from others. Still on the 2nd floor, but it was much more roomy.

Overall, I don't feel the value of this property is what they charge. There's better properties for less cost, and you'll get about the same experience.