FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel hopes & wishes for 2021
View Single Post
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:15 pm
OGG flyer

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by jackcarr
Is that based on anything more than hope? We have two weeks in Japan booked in May - a year after it was ruined the first time around. I didn't think the Japanese government had even approved a vaccine yet, never mind started rolling it out.
I did not mean vaccinations in Japan, I meant here. The UK government has a target of vaccinating roughly half the population by Easter. Even if they miss the target by several weeks, this would mean we would be close to heard immunity with that target (especially if we add people who have not been vaccinated but have had the virus). The worst case scenario would be that Covid is endemic but hardly a pandemic in the sense as it is now.

The Japanese PM confirmed yesterday that Olympics would not be postponed. I cannot see why Japan would not allow Brits visit for Olympics at a minimum , because the vaccination target would mean that UK would be one of the lowest risk profile countries in the world by July.

Of course this is my humble opinion. But I think people underappreciate how quickly things can improve if the vaccination target is met, even if the target is missed by a couple months.