FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:14 am
threeoh

Originally Posted by eng3
Does the CSR coverage have exceptions for COVID? Thinking over future travel scenarios with requirements for COVID testing X hrs before boarding and less reliable flight schedules, I can think of some scenarios
1. Positive test for COVID requires cancellation or delay of trip. Potential Costs: Flight change/cancellation fees, Lost hotel bookings (if past cancellation period), other pre-purchase (train, visa, etc). Would this be covered as an illness under "cancellation" or "interruption"?
2. Flight cancellation due to low bookings (due to covid) forcing last minute rebooking and hotel changes Potential Costs: New flight cost, Lost hotel bookings (if past cancellation period), other pre-purchase. If they cancel the flight, I assume the airline will rebook me. I have no coverage for the lost hotel booking but an overnight stay (assuming the airline doesnt provide would be covered). What if its a delay or the rebooking delays me so much that it is a trip in vain at least for that segment. The airline may reroute me for free or I'll have to cancel and rebook. In that case, do I have coverage for the lost ticket or new ticket? Lost hotel or new hotel?
3. Flight delay/cancellation forces COVID retest Potential Costs: Extra Lodging/Meal costs, Test cost, Follow-on flight change/cancellation fees, Lost hotel bookings (if past cancellation period). I guess I should get some coverage under "Trip Delay"?

I guess #2 can happen for any reason. #1 and #3 are just complications from if a flight delay causes you to go outside your test window.
1. Trip Cancellation/Interruption covers Sickness, which it defines as "an illness or disease which requires the attendance of a Physician". So I guess if you test positive but aren't sick / don't seek medical care you are not covered?

It also covers quarantine orders but they've taken the position that broad travel bans don't count, you have to individually be under quarantine order.

Depending on where you are, you may automatically be subject to a quarantine order once you test positive. This is probably going to be a fight with the insurance people unless you have a quarantine order in your name, though.

No major airlines are charging change fees right now.

2. Flight cancellation due to low bookings is not a covered hazard of either Trip Delay or Trip Cancellation. And Trip Cancellation/Interruption never covers new tickets / new bookings, it only covers tickets you can't use due to the interruption and can't cancel. New expenses are on you.

3. Trip Delay's covered hazards are "equipment failure, inclement weather, strike and hijacking/skyjacking", so if the original delay is due to one of those then yes you should get up to $500 for covered expenses which are "reasonable additional expenses incurred during a Covered Trip delay, including meals, lodging, toiletries and medication". I would think you have a good argument that another Covid test is a reasonable expense but no data points on this thread.